Snow Driving

It's starting to be pretty snowy around here. I have lived in Utah for a while now, but it is still shocking to me that it snows after Christmas. I always thought that all the snow would melt on December 26th, or maybe January 1st; but there are a lot of things about snow that I didn't understand before I came here.

I really love how pretty and shiny snow is, but I really don't love driving in it. I have explained before that I am secretly a cranky old lady, and when it snows the secret is out. I transform into that little granny who drives 15 miles per hour in a 45 zone and leaves her blinker on for 12 miles without turning.


There are a few reasons for this. First of all, I am from California. I consider a bit of rain to be horrible driving conditions. The thought of sliding even a little bit on an icy road freaks me out. Handsome Bryce has coached me to never ever slam on that breaks in that situation but I really Really REALLY want to slam on the breaks. REALLY.


It's not just that I grew up in California. I have found that most people consider themselves to be above average drivers. I used to think that too, until one day I turned left in front of on-coming traffic and totaled my mom's van. Turning in front of another car does not seem to be the kind of thing a talented driver would do, so I am forced to conclude that I am below average in driving ability.

When it is snowing there is always someone who tailgates me with rage in their eyes, stuck behind me as I crawl along the road. I think that they think their tailgating will motivate me to speed up. Nothing could be further from the truth. The tailgating actually validates me. I figure that because of my relative inexperience with snow driving, and factoring in my general below average driving ability, I need to drive 30% more slowly that normal people to be safe.

So if you see me on a snowy road avoid getting stuck behind me and we can still be friends.

Comments

  1. ok, so I'm glad you're back to blogging, and that you have been partying it up, but where are the pictures of said baby? I want to see his cuteness! (Although I do love your comic strips too)

    ReplyDelete
  2. VERY TRUE! I am glad to see you back from all the partying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also say Yay blogging is back!
    For me, I am lucky that Paul and I can usually carpool. He drives 100% of the time we need to go somewhere together (except sometimes on roadtrips) and I just fall asleep. I am also not a good driver, and I am passive aggressive toward other people who seem to think that they are great drivers. That hotshot dude who weaves in and out of traffic all speedy-like? I see him coming in the rearview and try to find a car to be next to so he can't go anywhere. This makes me even worse. I don't feel bad about doing that to annoying and dangerous drivers (I am a bad driver, but not actively dangerous) but I do know it does not help me in road vigilance.
    Driving in precipitation of any kind freaks me out, but driving in a heavy fog was the most terrifying experience of my life. Way worse than my car accident.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sideboard Refinishing

You Might Be Reading A Straw Man Argument If: